Monday, July 27, 2009

Welcome to Kansas

Kansas has brought many firsts for me and Saz. Saz had her first flat and it was my first time changing it. It was not that hard and took only a few minutes thanks to my quick lesson from the guys at the Bicycle Rack back in New Paltz. We also had our biggest day of 100 miles (107 but who's counting). That's what they call a century in cycling lingo. We decided we won't be doing too many more of those, especially if this heat keeps up. Speaking of the heat, Saz and I have been waking up at 4:30 am to make as many miles as possible before the sun gets too hot.

Hello All. Well as Aaron mentioned a lot has been happening. The detour was amazing!! We saw a sign saying detour 6 miles ahead, which we ignored because we have seen them in the past. It is usually some debris or something easy for a bike to navigate through. So you can imagine our surprise when we rode up to giant bulldozers and no more road. Aaron looked at me and said "well I guess we have to turn back", which would have meant going back the 6 miles we came and then taking a 9 mile detour (a total of 21 miles). Well folks in a car that would be no big deal but a bike no sir. Well i looked at Aaron and told him there is no way I am turning back so i walked up to one of the tractors, "excuse me sir, hmhmhm, excuse me sir" the man looked down at me "yes?"
"can we pass through here?"
"I don't see why not"
"Thanks"
With that Aaron and I began pushing and dragging our bikes through mud surrounded by the largest machinery I have ever seen. In the end we made it a bit covered in mud but back on our route. Well off we go Pueblo in 5 days the official half way point. Good bye till then



Riding in the morning fog


Aaron changing our first flat


Where did the road go?
For Grandma






Early morning riding

No comments:

Post a Comment